7/24/2008

Thrifting and Clearance Shopping

People ask me all the time how I find such great deals all the time. My answer is simple:

I never shop with a particular item in mind - just with a price.

When I go to a store I make a beeline straight to the clearance racks. I don't look at anything that is over my budget, and many times I find nothing, but I never get discouraged. I just come back in a couple of weeks.

I also love to thrift. I only have three or four thrift stores available in my area, but I check them out about once a month to see if there is anything new. Again, I never look for anything in particular, just look for the sales (and yes, even thrift stores have sales).

Because I have found such great deals, I now turn my nose up at items that are only 15-40% off. I have also become more of a cheapskate then ever, because now when I see something on sale for $20 (unless it's something I really want, a fancy brand name, or a jacket or coat), I usually wait until it gets even cheaper, or I wait until I find the same item, but different brand that is somewhere between $5-10 somewhere else.

I love turning shopping into a challenge and am always giving myself a very small budget to force me to look for the best deal. I have about $80 a month budgeted for clothes/shoes/bags and find that I never go over this budget, and many times don't even spend half of it. The smaller my budget is, the more fun I have when I shop.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this posting! Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey veronica, I get the whole clearance thing, but where are the good places to thrift shop around here? I need to do that more, but some places are good, some are crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen: I go to the Goodwill that's by the Wal-Mart in Charlestown. I also like the Blue Ridge Hospice Thrift store on Main Street in Purcellville, and the Twice Upon A Star in Purcellville. There is one across the street from the Dulles Town Center too, but I haven't really found anything there yet.

    I know there are some more places in Frederick, too, but I haven't taken the time to visit them yet, and so far I've found enough things at these, I haven't needed to go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, next time you hit the Charles Town Goodwill, come and pick us up (or call me ahead so I can have the car) - we'll shop with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas!

    My searches are much more targeted these days. I only shop with a particular wardrobe need in mind. It's been dresses lately :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa