10/20/2008

Follow up on cutting your own hair

I originally posted about this here and promised pictures - which I have only recently obtained! Below I have cut and paste the 6 steps I posted earlier, but included corresponding photos. The model is a friend, so I'm not actually cutting my own hair here, but hopefully it will give you a better idea than when I first posted about this. Being that I was cutting the hair, and also taking the pictures...I'm not sure that these pictures are really that helpful, but it was the best I could do. Hope it helps!
.......................................................................................................................................................................

1. I started with freshly washed hair and then combed it through. I parted it down the middle and put each side over each shoulder. Then I brushed half of her hair forward onto her face and cut an upside down "U" shape around her face, keeping the shortest edge to right about her lip.


2. Then I pulled the sides forward and cut a vertical line framing the face. This is what creates the layers that shape around her face.

3. After that, I took sections of hair from behind her ears to her forehead and pulled them straight up above her head and cut what would end up being a U-shape with all the sections I pulled up.
4. If you were cutting your hair yourself, you would then comb all your hair over your head and bend over. In my case, I cut an inch off the handful of all my hair that was combed across my head and onto my face. I cut it about six inches away from my forehead.

[I forgot to take a picture of this step since my technique is different when cutting someone else's hair. Shoot. Sorry!]

5. The last step was combing her hair out and again parting it down the middle. In my friend's case, I just cut a U-shape in the back in small sections, starting with the under layer of her hair and working outwards. If you cut the bottom layer slightly shorter and gradually make each outer layer longer, then you will cause the hair to bend under at the ends, instead of the blunt cut, which would cause the hair to lay straight (if you have straight hair). If you are cutting your own hair, you pull half your hair over one shoulder, and the other half over the other shoulder, and then cut however many inches off the length you desire. When you brush your hair back, it will have a nice U-shape.

6. To make sure it all blended I just combed sections away from her face and trimmed any stray hairs as I brushed it out and matched the length on either side of her head.

[with my friend, I also pulled bangs forward and brushed them to the side before cutting them around her face.]
And the finished product.
I used Nioxin hair volumizer and texturizer and CitreShine shine serum before I blew it dry with a vent brush. Lastly, I just touched up the ends with a curling iron.
Let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

  1. I really love that picture of your silhouette while you hold up her hair to cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How CUTE! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa