4/17/2011

My Birth Story

Hey everyone! So excited to finally be writing that the baby arrived! We are enjoying our little girl, Cassandra Rose (whom we call Cassie) so much, and can't seem to get enough of her! She is a very content little girl, already going 6+ hours between feedings at night. We are very blessed!

Due to some concerns with some of her biophysicals, my midwives recommended an induction for Wednesday morning when Cassie was 16 days past her due date. I really didn't want an induction, but since there was some question about Cassie's health, I decided to go with the induction. The midwife also promised that if the induction didn't take, they would take me off the pitocin and send me home.

Wednesday morning we got to the hospital at 6AM and after paperwork, several tests, and lots of prep work, they finally got the pitocin drip started by 9:30AM. Unfortunately, the Doctor came in and said that my biophysical from that morning did not look perfect and that they were going to make sure I had the baby and not allow me to go home if the induction didn't take. I was pretty upset about that and worried that after a hard labor I'd end up in a c-section because of no progression yet again (this happened with my first).

Anyway, they started the pitocin at a very low dosage, so the contractions I was already having on my own from the night before and all morning, just continued at the same strength and length for two hours. By 11:30AM, the pitocin finally kicked in, and my early labor contractions began.

My husband and Mom were there and were AMAZING support. They got me through each contraction, and in between we all shared laughs and excitement over the fact we would be meeting our little girl soon!

Active labor started around 1:30 or 2PM and as things got intense, my support rose to the challenge, moving me to new positions, holding me up, putting pressure on my back, and encouraging me by letting me know how the baby was doing and telling me I was doing great. Also, unlike my last induction, I had breaks between each contraction, making the whole process a whole lot more bearable.

I finally got to 8cm (transition labor) by 8:30PM, and an hour after that my water broke. I was so excited that I had gotten this far already, that I had Mom take a picture of me between a contraction and I smiled as big as I could under the circumstances! ha ha!


After 3 hours of transition labor, I did not progress at all. My whole labor was back labor as the baby's face was turned upwards. The baby was not dropping far enough down, and the contractions were pitocin aggravated and not really getting me anywhere. I noticed nurses looking concerned, and my midwife was putting me in several different positions to try and get the contractions to be more effective.

At this point, I mentioned sarcastically to Mom and the midwife in between a contraction that I was ready for a c-section. The midwife thought I was serious and suggested I try an epidural instead. I caved immediately and requested the epidural. I just knew I would be laboring all night and wouldn't get anywhere, and thought I could bear that a whole lot better if I had the epidural. I could tell my midwife was disappointed in my choice, but she went ahead and called up the anesthesiologist, who came to my rescue almost immediately!

By midnight, I had the epidural and was able to cope with the pain a whole lot better. I could only feel pressure in my lower back, pelvis and legs, so the only pain I felt were the contractions I had in my upper abdomen/stomach area. It was a very successful epidural!

The midwife told me to sleep, but my body wouldn't stop shaking, and I could feel every contraction. She upped the dosage of pitocin, too, so even though I couldn't feel the sharp pains, my body was too taxed to sleep. I was checked every hour and there was still no progression. I was still 8 cm! Argh!

By 5AM there were some concerns about progression so another nurse came in and spent 30 minutes stretching me open to complete with each contraction I had. Thank goodness I was on an epidural for all of this!

By 5:30AM I was complete and the pushing began!

I pushed my brains out (and quite a few other things out) for 2.5 hours straight, and the baby was still only at a plus 1 (the baby needed to get down to a plus 5 in order to get through the birth canal to even crown). The epidural kept the pain bearable, so I had enough energy to push like crazy, and yet still the baby would not come down. She was still in the wrong position, so again there were some concerns that I would end up in a c-section.

Before a c-section, though, it was recommended I try a vacuum. I was nervous with this at first since I had heard stories of how badly this can hurt the baby, but I also really wanted to avoid a c-section. I agreed to the vacuum, and 15 minutes later the doctor was using it and the baby was finally moving!

By 8:01AM, we finally got to meet our little girl!



So I got my vaginal birth!!!



I didn't hold to my goals of no induction, epidural, or assistance (like the vacuum), but at least I avoided the c-section and now will have a better chance of a normal labor next time around!

Even though there were concerns about the baby's health, the baby was perfectly healthy. Cassie was not too big, her placenta was not deteriorating, her blood pressure never got too low, and there was only a slight bit of meconium. So even though she was 17 days late in coming, she had no problems at all!

Thank you for praying for me and the baby! Your prayers were answered and we are enjoying a beautiful, happy, healthy baby girl!

14 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! Thank you for sharing your story. :) Can't wait to see pics of that precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the birth story and all the fabulous pictures to go with it! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, girl! YOU ARE A ROCK STAR! I am seriously amazed by you. Hugs to you and Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read that everything went well. Welcome, Cassie :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I was holding my breathe while reading!I am so glad that she is fine and you are too. I didn't progress (And had back labor) so I had a csection. Congrats on working so hard- she's the ultimate prize!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The goal was a healthy baby! You were a trooper!! You avoided the c-section, and you know... it's hard to have goals around inductions and all that sometimes. Not as controllable as say, getting the right accessories together. :) Congrats mom! Enjoy and take a break from blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. /congratulations on your beautiful and healthy girl.
    Thank you for sharing with us such moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audra, Missi, Kristen, and Laniza - thanks so much, we are very blessed!

    Marie - I had that problem with my first and was glad to avoid it this time around. Back labor is pretty nasty! We are blessed to have gotten healthy babies out of it no matter what!

    Pamela - You're right. You really can't plan something out like labor, and like you say, I'm just glad I got a healthy baby!! Thanks, and I'm definitely enjoying my time off of work and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay I'm so proud of you! Baby is a week late over here, he needs to get a move on! Xo Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds alot like alexi...all back labor with piggy-back contractions,face up, and no progression for hours!!! i feel you!
    so glad you were a successful V-bac!
    Congrats she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the birth of your beautiful daughter! What a sweet name for a sweet little darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That is an incredible story. I am so glad you were able to get through and have the VBAC you wanted. :) What an answer to prayer that Cassie arrived safe and sound and you are both doing well.

    Thanks for sharing! And I look forward to all the fun posts that I know will be coming once you're up and about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats of the birth of your beautiful baby girl! You made it! I also glad you were able to experience having the birth the one you wanted. Not enough regular births happen in the hospitals, they probably pressure way too many mothers into having c-sections. Glad everybody is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations :D

    Have only just seen this post! Well done you!

    Hope you are all well .. and Cassie is beautiful!

    Much love to you all!

    Sal xXx

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa