7/18/2008

Retro

Last night I watched "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", an old film from 1963. I loved almost every outfit the ladies' wore and determined to don a retro look for my evening with the girls today. One look particularly caught my eye. The red headed actress wore a beige chiffon, knee-length dress. The bodice was tight and sleeveless, and the skirt full and flowy. The actress had paired the dress with black patent pumps, a black patent belt, a black patent clutch, and a three strand red beaded necklace and earrings. She had her hair teased up high...it looked so chic!

This is my version of the look (unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to take a picture, so I took it while talking to my hubby on the phone):

Last time I wore this dress as is and only now have I finally gotten around to hemming it. Not only did I spend quite a bit of time altering the dress, but I also altered the belt. The belt originally wasn't quite small enough to be a waist belt, so I took one of my husband's pocket knives and carved a hole to make it fit perfect on my waist. I had fun today completely personalizing my look. :-)

White dress - J.Crew (thrifted) - $3.00
Red patent skinny belt - Target - $4.98
Red leather platforms - Aerosoles - gifted
Red hoops - Claire's - $1.00
Black patent clutch - thrifted - $1.00