5/24/2009

Answer to a reader question

You seem to have new things every day and I'm wondering, how often do you go shopping in order to find the great deals? I'm a SAHM (homeschooling mom) of five, I live 1/2 hour from any store, so I don't have the time to shop. Not to mention in this economy (hubby sells real estate) money is tight. I was just wondering how you manage to do it.

I am not yet homeschooling, and only have one child; so compared to you, I'm sure I have a lot of time!! Nevertheless, I've been working at least 30 hours a week from home since my son was born, so that cuts into my time quite a bit.

When I first started this blog, I had a budget of $80 a month for clothes, and I spent every penny of it. I would shop on the days I would go grocery shopping in the late afternoons, which was every other week. I usually found a way to stop by at thrift stores or garage sales whenever I was out and about running errands on the off-weeks.

Now everything is different. I work 40 hours a week, and three days I work at the office, two days I work from home. My husband has been unemployed since January, and since then, I haven't bought any clothes at all. However, I requested at Christmas time and around my Birthday (February) clothes and accessories as gifts...so I got several new things then.

Also, if you notice, I only buy things that are on super clearance, so when I do shop, I don't spend very much at all.

I am struggling in this tight economy as well, and I am also at least 1/2 an hour from any shopping. While my husband had a job, I was still very frugal, and since my son is easy to shop with, never had a problem finding the time to shop. But now I am just learning to make the best of what I have and wear things a different way every day.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 24, 2009

    Wow, thanks for that info! I'm sorry your husband is out of work, things are tough on everyone right now. I also try to utilize what is in my closet, and wear things different ways. I am surprised that you are able to find such great deals when you don't shop that often, lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa