5/25/2009

Answer to a reader question

I am working on my wardrobe, and I have a question for you. I'm a SAHM and I don't run errands very often (maybe twice a week) requiring me to get somewhat dressed up. We go to church Sun morning, Sun night and Wed night so I have a good church wardrobe. I'm wondering what you wear on off days when you are at home all day. Can you offer some ideas to help me put together some nice outfits for around the house? I don't wear pants (ever), and of course, I want to be comfortable...it's so hard not to look frumpy! I don't want to be a frumpy housewife. HELP!

I didn't usually run errands either, except maybe once or twice a week, and I worked entirely from home up until last month. You can look back at old posts to get an idea of what I wore - but be warned...I've learned a lot since starting this blog, and look back at some of my old outfits and am appalled!

I started this blog to help me have some accountability to get dressed every day, and I also tried to at least go out and take a walk or invite someone over on those days I had nowhere to go, just to give me a reason to dress nice. On the days I couldn't contrive any reason to go somewhere or see someone, I would just dress up right before my husband got home.

I think as long as you take 10 to 20 minutes each day to at least do your make-up and fix your hair, that you are already not a frumpy housewife. Every one has days where they remain in lounge clothes all day - and as a SAHM you're entitled to more days of that than the average person!

Ways to step it up a notch would be to dress up your house clothes with accessories just before you walk out the door, or receive friends or your husband home.

For instance, if you normally wear a pair of jeans and t-shirt (no shoes, no make-up, no accessories, etc.), all it would take after doing your hair and make-up is a colorful skinny belt, some hoop earrings, and a wedge shoe to have you looking fabulous without any effort on a day that you will remain completely at home.

On those days that you are wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt - keep that outfit and stay comfortable while you are lounging around the house, and then just before the hubby gets home or you go outside to talk to a neighbor, switch out the sweatpants for a modern jean skirt, colorful flats, and a chunky necklace (yes, worn with your sweatshirt).

These are just my preferences, though - you can easily alter these suggestions to fit your tastes. The key is take what you would normally wear on your day at home and add a few accessories, with polished hair and make-up for a non-frumpy look. Just steer clear of denim jumpers, baggy or outdated clothes, and tennis shoes with jeans.

Hope that helps!

8 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Well, my husband likes me to be showered and dressed right away every day, so my hair and makeup are always done when the day begins. I don't sit around in one thing and then change before he comes home. My dilemma is my wardrobe! I don't wear pants, not even sweats...I don't even own a sweatshirt! So I need nice basics that aren't too dressy. I've just been wearing my church clothes around the house! I need a separate, casual wardrobe that is nice without being too dressy and casual without being frumpy. I definately agree about the jumpers, too! LOL...tennis shoes with jeans (mom jeans no less)...the HORROR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look for A-line knit dresses (do you wear knee-length? If so, J.Crew has a lot of options. If you can't afford J.Crew, opt for J.Crew on Ebay - you can get some really great deals!). Jean pencil skirts and tasteful summer sundresses are casual and not frumpy. I'd love to go shopping with you, as skirts and dresses are my favorite items to shop for!

    Have fun building your wardrobe, and let us know what you discover! Sounds like you are far from the frumpy SAHM already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Thank you for these suggestions! I wear dresses that are just below the knee for modesty, not too long because I'm just 5'4" (although the maxi dress looked great on your sister, I might need to try one!) Pencil skirts are hard for me because I'm curvy and they are often tight on the hips. I love the idea of sundresses, but I often find they look maternity on me! Hence, body issues and finding the right length are challenging. I'll use your suggestions and let you know what I find! Thanks...your a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Me again...I went back to past blogs to see what you wore...you always looked great to me! I noticed your mom and dad on one of the blogs...do they really live in Michigan? I live in Northern Michigan! Just thought that was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great advice. Thanks, Nic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, my parents live in West Michigan - maybe you'll run into them at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to the reader's question. And starting a blog for me also helped to realise what I'vebeen wearing and hopefully what I can do better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a happy, helpful, hopeful post for me to read. :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa