6/23/2009

Answer to a reader question

Gorgeous dress! Awkward question...what kind of bra/support do you wear w/it? I've avoided getting a dress like this because, well, to be frank, the girls would NOT cooperate w/out some help. LOL. Advice?


This isn't awkward - a lot of people have the same problem! I'm larger in the chest, too, and I would have never dreamed of wearing a dress like this back when. Lately I've found a few solutions, though.

These days it's ok to wear a tank top under a spaghetti strap dress (as long as it's casual), or even a t-shirt. Since I don't like having too many layers because of the added bulk, my solution is a sports bra. The straps look like a tank top, it gives a TON of support, and it looks fine under casual strapless or spaghetti strap dresses. I wear the Champion Jogbra (see picture below), because it comes in small back sizes and large cup sizes (which is what I need). This bra also has adjustable straps, which is great for gals who are short like me. I have to raise the straps pretty high up to keep the girls where they should be.

You will notice I wear strapless dresses every once in a while, but I usually have to either wear a shrug to hide the straps, or wear a bra where the straps look like an extension of the dress (this only works with demi bras). In this first picture, I'm wearing a bra with straps, but the straps matched the dress, and I kept my hair covering the straps. Later I wore a sweater so I didn't have to keep my hair in front the whole day.

For this dress, I wore a black bra. The straps looked like part of the dress - my husband didn't even know until I told him later on (if you look closely, you can see the strap poking out from under my hair).

For this last dress, I just wore a regular bra, and added the crocheted shrug.
If you find a strapless or spaghetti strap dress that looks great on you and the only drawback is the bra strap - there are always ways to fix that. Wear a tank underneath, get clear straps, or just add a scarf, shrug, or sweater.

Nevertheless, it is hard to find the perfect spaghetti strapped or strapless dress for big busted gals, so unless you find a dress that works for you, just avoid the style. It's never worth it to "make-it-work" only for it not to be flattering on you.

7 comments:

  1. I have never thought of wearing a sports bra under dresses, but what a great idea.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um this helps me out some since, I am a little(uncomfortable)well-endowed. I have just made this dress and tried it on and it was one kinda tight on top and and two really low cut. do you have any suggestions on what to do about it?
    MK

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 24, 2009

    Question about the sportsbra...does it separate properly or cause uniboob? Does the jogbra come in larger sizes? I'm 38 DDD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: Short answer, no. It would separate for smaller busted gals, but not for E cup sizes like you and me. Nevertheless, when wearing a strapless dress like the ones I pictured in this post, I look like I have a uniboob no matter what and would look ridiculous if the girls were separated when wearing a dress like this (I would just appear very large), so I don't look for separation in a sportsbra. If I need separation, I have to wear a normal bra. The sports bras I have found that have good separation either don't have enough support, or make the girls look too pointy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Kate: My suggestion would depend on the dress. You say it is too tight, but you made it yourself? Can't you just let out the seams a little? If you prefer it tight, you should probably look for a bra with no seam lines so the lines don't show underneath your dress. My rule of thumb when shopping for a bra is to find one with straps that can adjust super short so you can lift the girls up, as well as bras that have small back sizes with larger cup sizes. There are several bra designs out there to accommodate low necklines. I would try http://www.figleaves.com for the best selection of styles and sizes at reasonable prices.

    If you're looking to cover - simply sew in a swatch of fabric to make it look like you're wearing a cami underneath the dress. Or - just wear a cami.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 24, 2009

    So you only wear the sportsbra with dresses, never under a tee? I've also found that dresses create the dreaded uniboob on me. They make me feel like I'm a balloon about to burst!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous: I have worn the sportsbra under low cut (and very loose) wrap shirts in order to avoid having to wear a cami, and because the shirt is not tight enough to really show any definition of where the girls are anyway - but I only wear them under a tee if I'm going jogging.

    It sounds like this sports bra would not be an option for you if you are looking for an everyday sports bra. Buying a lightweight tank top for layering under casual strapless or spaghetti strap dresses may be the right option for you. Or, you might look on Figleaves.com for some sportsbra options for bigger busted women that provide support and separation.

    FYI - Missi (who is on vacation right now) wears a 34DD or DDD, (I wear a 30 DDD or 32DD or DDD). Since Missi is closer to your size, I will tell you what she does - she actually wears strapless bras for dresses like this and finds they work ok. Strapless bras do not work for me because I do not have a long enough torso to hold a sportsbra in place. Missi has a longer torso than I do and can wear a strapless bra easier. Missi also wears normal sports bras for when she works out, but never wears a sports bra under dresses or regular outfits in order to avoid the uniboob.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa