10/15/2009

Dress design for Shabby Apple dresses

I have been putting off announcing the Dare to Design Shabby Apple contest until I could produce a design of my own, that is until I found out that every contestant is not limited to submitting just one dress! Now that the pressure is off to design just one amazing dress, I am feeling free to announce the contest to all my competitors along with the first three designs I've created.

So here is the announcement:

How exciting is that??? I'm stoked, but I REALLY want to win. In fact, I want to win so much that I really am hoping none of you enter! LOL! Just kidding!

So on to my first design, which I'm calling the "Matilda Dress":

Specifications for the Matilda:
  • I picture this dress in a variety of spring colors such as cherry red, salmon pink, candy apple green, and cream
  • The fabric should be a soft jersey with the draping on top to be the same fabric you would see in a Herve Leger bandage dress
  • I don't have a picture of the back of the dress (will get to that soon), but I'd like the "bandage" work to mirror the front, but flip flopped...in other words, the bandage look would continue around the dress
  • My inspiration was from watching old 1940's and 1950's movies. I wanted to combine a vintage look with something modern - (modern being the bandage look Herve Leger created)

My second submission will be called the Florence:

Specifications of the Florence dress:
  • This dress should be made with a gauzy feeling silk or a light chiffon
  • I want it to be a print - something watercolor in either light pastels or neutrals
  • I want the belt to be a cognac colored leather belt
  • My inspiration for this dress was the spring wind. I wanted to create something with movement. The dress flows with the wind, but is then anchored by a stiff hard belt - just like the wind in spring usually carries with it some leftover stiff hard winter

My third submission for the day I will call the Charlie dress:

The specifications for the Charlie dress are:
  • The material should be an opaque, heavy silk
  • The colors should be either a geometric print in yellow and gray or be a bright pink (a very trendy color this year)
  • The line at the hips is only a seam
  • Since it is a scoop neck, I don't want any zippers on the dress
  • My design inspiration was from a Project Runway episode. I was inspired by all the new modern lines the contestant designers were using for their dresses and wanted to incorporate a new, modern seam into a design of my own

So that's it for now. I'll hopefully get some more designs up later!

Good luck on designing your own dress!

8 comments:

  1. I would buy the 1st dress- fitted on top with a unique detail, and a flowy bottom = perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really talented! My favorite is the "Matilda"- I think that criss-cross bodice would really help someone like me who needs more definition on the waist. When I was in junior high I had dreams of being a designer but when I look back at those drawings, I just laugh and laugh. Now I know, that's just not my talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious!

    Make sure you water mark these so no one steals them!!! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im just a guest but I have been following your blog for fashion ideas. I love your designs especially the Charlie dress...I wish you well on your submission and keep drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your Matilda dress design!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your design!!nice work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Nic. You are such a talented artist. These sketches are impressive. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a top clothing brand hired you as a designer as a result of these posts. ;)

    P.S. I particularly like the Matilda dress.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna wear Florence!!!! -Kara :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa