2/05/2010

Disappointment

Do you all remember when I won this beautiful dress? I was so excited and couldn't wait to wear it!

Unfortunately, when it arrived, it had a couple of stains on the side of the dress, and gapped under the arm quite a bit. It was also a size or two too big, as the shoulders slid off while I walked and the waist was in no way fitted, like a dress of this style should be.

I thought this was an easy fix. My Mother-in-law is an exceptional seamstress and I knew she could help me alter the dress.

We raised the straps to help with the side gaping and to help tighten up the straps. Also the fuller part of the dress for the bustline hit me at the wrong part of my chest, since my chest is so short, so raising the straps put the full part of the dress right across my bustline where it should. Then we took in the seam under the arms a bit to further close the gap. I tried the dress on, and there was still a slight showing of my undergarments under the arm, but I thought I could make it work.

I got home and ironed the dress with low heat, only to find my low heat wasn't low enough. I scalded the fabric with the iron on the hem, forcing me to have to hem 3.5 inches off the dress. Thankfully, I'm short enough, the hem change wouldn't be a problem for me.

Before I cut the material, I decided to tack the hem first to see how it would come out.

After having tried the dress on, with and without a belt, I'm feeling there is just no hope for the dress. It flattens my chest, and then is way too large in the waist. To make matters worse, there is STILL a gap under the arms.

My conclusion is that this style of dress just doesn't work for my body type. Argh.



I might re-hem it properly, but I just feel like the dress doesn't lay right at all, and am frustrated that after spending 3 hours on it, it still doesn't fit right. My measurements are normal (36, 26, 36), but I'm so short and yet so busty for my frame (I'm wearing a 32DDD right now), that I just don't think it will work. I needed to raise the straps and then lower the waist, add more room in the bust, yet more coverage under the arms, take in the waist, and then lower the bateau neckline so I wouldn't choke.

Oh well. I tried. I still love the dress. Just not on me.

8 comments:

  1. How frusterating! I totally feel your pain! The siloette is lovely on you, but if you're not comfortable, you won't be happy in it. Such a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you are disappointed, but I remember when you said you won it, and I thought, well, good for her, I could never wear that style.

    I think with the belt it's not bad-looking- just not "wow." The shorter length hem, though, I think looks better to me, more in proportion.

    I too, 32DD, 4'11", I was at one time generally in the 36 category. I know that a lot of slightly ill-fitting things can be made fantastically better by pinching them at either side of the neckline because it does move the bust and the waist, and occasionally a tack under the arm fixes what the other doesn't, but the problem I'd still see with a dress like that if I was even comfortable in it is that the neckline makes me look even bustier, in a "fill the entire top" sortof way that I don't find attractive on myself. You are quite good at creating lines with v-necks, drape necks, scarves, etc. that really keep things in proportion, and this dress just well... it makes your legs look fantastic. Appropriate for church or a wedding where demure is more the style, but just not the height of fashion.

    Only wear what you feel good in, and if it's going to the back of your closet cuz you don't love it, let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry nic!
    Li

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a similar shape (32G, 33waist, 39hips, 5'4'') and this style never works on me, even with tailoring. I've just given up on it altogether even tho I'm attracted to it. lol.

    I've found that a higher waisted swingy skirt, thick belt and then a tucked in shirt have the same effect while being more flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks fantastic with the belt. So classic! But if you aren't going to feel right it in....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so bad for you because the dress is a gorgeous color and looks particularly beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have the same problems with the dress and I too understand why you love it... just on someone else! Such a beautiful dress. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack - I mean to say I'm 36, 26, 36 - I'd look pretty funny being 36 all the way down - no waist at all! lol!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa