11/20/2011

Outfit Post: Silk Shirts

I don't know if anyone really took any notice to my background walls in my previous photos, but most of them were taken in this very room (my office), and the walls in the previous photos were very brown. Notice that it is a mauvy beige (yes, I made that color up myself) now? So much more feminine. So much more *me*! I like my office so much now, I moved the daybed in here so I could sit in here and stare at my lovely walls comfortably in between working. The color is just that good.

And speaking of working...my hours are more sporadic now, giving me more time to blog if I feel like it. I barely worked this week, and had the itch to blog all week. So now I am. Next week I work full days until Thanksgiving. I probably won't blog that day because nothing will fit, I'll be so full of turkey just thinking about it.


Have you noticed that red lips are now EVERYWHERE. It's like almost every fashion spread in every magazine is featuring a bright lip. Every time I see it, I think, "oh that's so fun, why don't I wear my red lipstick more?!" In theory, I love my red lipstick, but in practice, it just doesn't work for me. I can't kiss my babies, I get lipstick on my teeth, I stain every glass in my house, and my husband won't kiss me for fear of getting lipstick on his shirt or face. Are my red lips really worth depriving myself from husband and baby kisses? I don't think so. Nevertheless, I will try to keep imagining that I love it just because sometimes you can't help but want to look trendy sometimes. Ok, maybe I just want to fit in.

Another thing I've noticed in so many of the fashion spreads are boxy silk shirts. You see them tucked into high waisted pants or pencil skirts, or worn over tight jeans or layered underneath sweaters. While it reminds me of some of the blouses my mom passed down to me during my adolescence when nothing else fit me at the time (and at that time, the boxy silk shirt tucked into high waisted pants or skirts or even untucked over leggings was completely outdated), I also like how it also reminds me a tad of the 1940's because of it's strong shoulder line. If I were to wear this red silk blouse tucked in, I would feel totally retro, especially with my red lips. Tucked out, I feel "laid back cool." Do I look "laid back cool?" Probably not. I probably look like I'm trying too hard. But that's ok. Because I am.

I'm determined to think that this blouse is vintage. It came with shoulder pads, and had a very old fashioned label. And by old fashioned, I mean, like something I would see in the stores when I was 5 years old. I guess I consider vintage to be only 16 years old, because I'm 21. heh. Anyhow, I cut out the shoulder pads, ironed it up, and now I have an on trend blouse for the season. My fashion magazines would be proud of me. You're welcome Marie Claire and Lucky.

Jacket - Goodwill (Jones New York) - $2
Blouse - Goodwill (Anna & Frank) $3
Chain link choker - thrifted - $2
Jeggings (gasp, I can't believe I fell for this trend) - Target - $5
Heels - Jessica Simpson -gifted
Bag - Coach - gifted

3 comments:

  1. You don't look like you are trying too hard, but if I passed you on the street, I'd think you were VERY well put-together, and I'd look down at my jeans and t-shirt, and think... tomorrow maybe.... and be very jealous. I'm now dressing up for work, trying to figure out how NOT to get bored with suits. Taking inspiration from Nic, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how hard it is to look like you're not trying too hard. I fell asleep thinking of what to wear - so it basically took me all night to come up with this. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab - reminds me of a kind of Kardashian put together outfit - love it!

    xXx

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa