1/13/2012

Progression of an Outfit

This post is specifically for all of you stay-at-home-moms out there. If anyone else gets something out of this, that's cool too.

Women who stay at home with children have a harder time than most looking put together. Why? Because sometimes we never leave the house. Sometimes our day includes cleaning mud off of our children. Sometimes we spend the entire day cleaning and other times, we don't think it's worth it to dress nice when our children will almost assuredly put a tear or stain in whatever we wear anyway.

This blog has always been about my quest to stay away from frump and stay in style while staying at home. So lately, to remedy my problem of trying to dress nice even if I'm not going anywhere, or even if I have a dirty job to do, I've been choosing outfits that can easily progress to fit my day's needs.

For instance, during the day when I'm just cleaning the house, cooking, on the floor wrestling with my 5 yr old, homeschooling under a blanket on the couch (Mom, you didn't see that), and taking walks with the kids, I'll start out wearing something like this:

 I'll add tennis shoes for the walk, or just wear slippers if I'm staying in all day. Usually I do leave my hair down (today was an exception) because that's what is most comfortable for me. I will also start with a little bit of make up (mascara and blush, and maybe some eyeliner and lip gloss).

Then, if I'm leaving the house during the day, or someone is coming over, I'll just add some jewelry, style my hair, and switch out my tennis shoes for a pair of heels.
 
At the end of the day, just before my husband gets home, or if I'm going out for the night, I'll really kick it up. I'll add more accessories, maybe a tailored jacket or a belt (or both), and even more make-up (a smoky eye and lipliner).  


I just think it's a good reminder that a simple jeans and sweater outfit as a base is all you need to look fabulous - and you don't have to add the fabulousness until when it's practical. Just layer it on as needed. Add a smart blazer, a romantic scarf, some great jewelry, a statement belt, a stylish pair of shoes...and no one will ever know that you started out plain. ;-) Well, I guess my secret is out now. :-)

5 comments:

  1. I do this too! Today was actually reverse for me though, I started out in my heels, jacket, hair and makeup done, but had nothing else going on the rest of the day, so switched to slippers and threw on a sweatshirt and hung up the jacket. At least till my man gets home:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also a good tip for us working moms too. Starting out simple and adding on when necessary should be the way to go for everybody. This was a really good post, I truly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit:) You always look so put together. Thanks for showing your progress thru the day.That is one of my fears when I eventually become a mom and am at home, I want to try to look put together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun to see the transformation of your outfit! You look beautiful in all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Vicka--this is really fun to see. I do nearly the exact same thing (and yep, I feel more comfortable with my hair "done" too)--lately, I'll throw on a necklace or scarf before I go out because with a nursing, "grabby" baby at home, it's harder to wear those things on my chest unless I'm not with her. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa