12/08/2013

Thoughts on Postpartum Body Image


I went through a lot of self deprecating after my second baby and am determined to keep a positive outlook this time around. My battle scars of pregnancy are marks I've earned and something I'm proud of. My daughter told me the other day that she loved laying on my stomach because it was so soft. In that moment I wouldn't trade my postpartum baby belly for six pack abs.
 
I recently came across this post, and loved it. 
 
During these weeks of loving on my newborn, I have stopped myself from getting obsessive about my workouts and diets unlike what I've tended to do in the past. For the first time I'm starting to realize how much time I've wasted worrying about being a certain size (that was never good enough even when I achieved it). Sure, I've never had an eating disorder (never even come close), but I have belittled myself and wasted a lot of time getting frustrated over the way I look instead of being grateful for what I did have.
 
We women are bombarded with unhealthy images that trick us into thinking we have to look a certain way to achieve beauty. This is a great video on the subject: http://www.upworthy.com/5-minutes-of-what-the-media-actually-does-to-women-8
 
I never want my daughters to get caught up in trying to look a certain way or be a certain size. I want to continue to strive to be healthy and fit, but will appreciate what I look like at all sizes I am along the journey.
 




Top - Kohl's (clearance for $3) - similar here
Jeggings - Target (clearance for $5) - similar here
Boots - Michael Antonio (clearance for $9) - similar here