4/16/2014

SAHM Cheats and an LBD





Dress - Ann Taylor via Goodwill - $5
Coat - Kohl's - $27
Tee - F21 - $5
Pumps - Target - $12




These photos were taken last Sunday. I feel like I rarely get to wear heels and dresses anymore. My wardrobe keeps getting more and more practical as I find myself with more "mom" chores than ever these days. Capri needs to eat more than usual (growth spurt I'm assuming), my husband is out of commission due to shoulder surgery, and my two older kids are as high energy as ever and demanding a lot of my attention. 

Needless to say, my husband with his shoulder surgery isn't the only one with only one usable arm right now. I am also one-armed because Capri has full use of my other arm. But it's amazing what you can do with only one arm/hand. You can cook dinner, do the dishes, sweep, vacuum, type, email, blog, take photos, run, brush your teeth, wash your face, help a toddler get on and off the toilet, use the restroom yourself (is this TMI?), apply make-up, make beds, do laundry, etc. Having two arms is merely a luxury.

Here are a few of my cheats that I couldn't live without right now:

1. Clorox wipes. Need to clean the bathroom, clean up spills, disinfect something that's been vomited on, but still have that baby on your hip? This does the job in one quick swipe. I have these babies in each bathroom and the kitchen.

2. Unscented sensitive baby wipes. Only have one hand to wash your make-up off? I use a baby wipe in a pinch. Chris says my face smells as fresh as a baby's bottom. Now who wouldn't want that? 

3. Slip-on shoes. Who has time to tie shoe laces or configure a buckle? 

4. Cross-body bags. Hands free. Enough said. 

5. Cordless hand-vacuum cleaner. I love my little vacuum. Sometimes I just leave it on our coffee table during school time to quickly vacuum up little spills that occur all over the house throughout the day from my littles. And it's the only way I can get the stairs vacuumed when I'm holding Capri.

6. Rice cooker/steamer. When you have only one hand to cook dinner, just throw some rice and veggies in the rice cooker with your free hand. 

7. Pre-cooked meat in the freezer. Need some meat to add to your rice and veggies? I keep organic nitrate-free beef hot dogs and burgers for days when I don't have my hands free to cook. 

8. Double jogger. The weather has finally been mild enough for me to take the kids on my runs. The girls ride in the Burley and CJ rides his bike. Now I have no excuse not to get my butt out there for a run.

9. Uniform. Since dressing has to be pretty hurried most of the time, I always have a fall-back look I go to when I can't think of anything else. Lately (if you haven't noticed) my uniform is a long top with skinnies. 

10. Minimal make-up routine. One handed make-up can be tricky, but I can usually get my BB cream, a little mascara on my top lashes, and some blush or bronzer on with the baby in tow. 

I have plenty more little ways I've been cutting corners these days, but I'd say these are my top 10 right now. What are your time-savers?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa