7/02/2008

Sunless Tanning

The fashion world keeps trying to tell us that tanning beds are unfashionable since they are so unhealthy, yet, all the celebrities and fashion models tend to have a beautiful glow about them that we all know isn't always because they are spending all that much time in the sun. While I have succumbed to the temptation of the tanning bed several times, and probably still will, I am always working towards a healthier lifetsyle, which includes never going to a tanning bed again.

My solution for the past couple of years has been tinted moisturizers.

I've used Jergen's gradual tan/moisturizer and was really pleased with the results. The first year I used it, I thought it gave me a nice glow, but it smelled pretty bad. The second year (last year) I thought it smelled better, but noticed that it didn't "tan" me as well as I would have liked. I did appreciate the firming solution they added as I always felt I jiggled a little less after I used it.

This year I'm all about L'Oreal's Sublime Glow moisturizer. I've been shocked at how much darker I've gotten from using it (darker than Jergens ever got me), and especially appreciate the sheen it gives to my skin. You can purchase a tube at any drugstore or supermarket for anywhere between $6-$10. It is definitely worth it.


Even if you are still stuck in the rut of using the tanning bed, a lotion like this always helps to even out the tan and give you a nice glow. I use it after I get out of the shower on just my legs and sometimes even my face. Also, if I've spent some time in the sun, it helps to even out tan lines on my shoulders.

What sunless tanning products have you found work for you?

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I bough the Jergens last year when we took a trip to HI and I couldn't tan (pregnant), but I was never quite satisfied with it. The smell wasn't quite right and I felt like I looked more orange than tan. To add to that... I never could get it to bled well on my skin.

    I have heard that if you exfoliate your skin first it helps you to get a more even tan from the lotion. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has found a tanning lotion that works better than these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried and love the Jergen's but haven't used it lately since I have spent a good amount of time outside. I'm trying to be better about wearing more sunscreen though and have thought about using the tanners again. I think I'll try L'Oreal now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Loreal Sublime Bronze, which is a spray...although the smell is strong for a few hours after it's applied. I recently tried an all natural one from Kiss My Face. It's a tinted gel, but it tends to streak. I guess I need more practice applying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one I use! I love the Loreal Sublime Glow. But, being a woman of almost 50yrs, I appreciate the glow/sparkle of the product, whereas some of my younger daughters feel like it makes it look like a fake tan and don't approve of the product. So there you have it. Old women like to glow. lol
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blog, without a doubt the best sunless tanner (and with sunscreen( is the Neutrogena Summer Glow. Go get it! It doesn't smell and the glow part is brown not orange, it's awesome.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa