8/10/2008

Answering another question left in a comment...

"...[C]an u tell us u r slimming secrets as an inspiration to u r readers, how do u keep fit?"

I have to laugh at this...most all of our friends know that both Missi and I have been complaining about the weight we've gained since having babies. Neither of us feel like we have found the "secret" yet.

Nevertheless, we do try to stay in shape, and whether we've reached our goals or not, I'll state what I do...my sister Missi has a blog dedicated to her fitness goals that I will let her talk about in her own post.

1) I never drink pop, or basically I never drink anything outside of water. Why waste the calories? I try to drink at least 60 ounces of water a day to keep my skin clear.

2) Since I have low blood sugar, I have to eat little bits throughout the day. I keep low calorie snacks on hand at all times. Reduced fat cheesesticks are one of my favorite snacks. Veggies, fruit, nuts, and granola bars work too. I usually make sure I eat a snack before I go out to eat so I am not too hungry when I get to the restaurant and then overeat.

3) I always read the label to check what a serving size is and try to only eat a serving (this requires measuring food sometimes...which can be embarrassing if company is over).

4) I try to count calories throughout the day. My goal is 1200 a day, but usually I eat about 1500. Since I'm only 5 feet tall and weigh 110 pounds, technically I should be eating less than 1200 calories a day...but it is really hard to stick to that amount!!!!

5) I try to eat mostly meat and veggies for dinner and avoid pastas and rice (although I don't stick to this as much as I should).

6) When I eat out I try to not eat the whole portion, or I order a low carb meal.

7) If I'm craving chocolate or ice cream, or something that I really shouldn't eat, I go ahead and give in to my craving...I just keep the portion small. If I don't give into the craving when I have it, I end up binging later on.

8) I usually stop eating at least 3 hours before I go to bed for the night. Sometimes this means I have to eat my dinner before my husband gets home when he gets home late - but it is worth it. On the nights I do eat late, I start packing on the pounds right away!

9) I chew gum in between snacks and meals when I need to force myself to stop eating. A freshened mouth makes me avoid food for as long as I can.

10) I usually walk two or three miles (up hills and with my son in a stroller) at least twice a week and I do an interval cardio workout off a DVD for 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. I try to do 100 crunches every day, as well. Although, I must admit, that when I go on vacation, or it's a crazy week, the workouts get neglected.

I'm still learning what works for me, and still need to drop at least 5 pounds. I've been stuck in a rut, though, and can't seem to drop those last 5 pounds to get to the weight I was before my baby was born! Any tips you all have would be greatly appreciated!! What are your slimming secrets? Please leave a comment and let us know!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I plan on taking some of them and adding them into what I already do-especially the 100 crunches one!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa