5/19/2014

Altering a Knit Skirt

It's not always worth the time it takes to alter clothing, but when something is given to you for free, and it's a great item, I consider that worth altering.


I got this Express bandage skirt as a hand-me-down from a friend. It was a few sizes too large, but I loved the cut and color and it was in mint condition.


I seam ripped out the side seams.


Then seam ripped out the waist and hem seam that overlapped the side seams.


I used a bar of soap to draw a line where the seam needed to be taken in about one inch from the original seam.


Before cutting off the excess fabric, I double stitched the new seam down, following the soap line,


like so.


Then I cut off the excess fabric,


only leaving the waist and hem seam that overlapped the side seam to fix.


Next I folded back over the hem and waist seam over the side seam and double stitched that down, following the original stitch from the rest of the hem/waist seam.


Now the skirt fits perfect.


4 comments:

  1. Using soap is brilliant! I am going to remember that...especially when I'm sewing darker fabric. :-) I don't comment much (tho' I will start doing it more!), but I read your blog faithfully and enjoy it so much. -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the soap is genius!! And love the new fit of the skirt, what a great color too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading Erin! Growing up, my Mom always taught me to use Ivory soap for drawing temporary guidelines on fabric. And glad you like the skirt Missi! It was a hand-me-down from Missy Saur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! You make it look easy but I don't think my less-than-nimble fingers could master it!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa