10/13/2016

24 hours in Grand Rapids

My sister and nephew flew up from Florida last weekend to see family in Michigan, so I did what any normal person would do - I left my husband to work on the farm and the kids and I spent a night in Grand Rapids to see my sis. 

With such a short window of time, our plans changed several times, but in the end everyone decided to pack in as much as we could and I'm glad we did. 

If you live anywhere near Grand Rapids, Michigan, you have to visit the last week in September or the first two weeks of October. The city is full of life during these three weeks due to Art Prize. I've blogged about Art Prize before. I didn't think I'd get to go this year, but we were able to squeeze it in and it's always worth it. Artists from all over the world rent space around the city to display all forms of art that is then judged by the city-goers, culminating to grand prize winners that are announced at the end of the three weeks. Everywhere you walk downtown you will see art--on the sidewalks, in the cafes, all over the museums and plazas...it's fabulous!

But now I have a few more places to recommend in Grand Rapids. Our trip started at my brother's church (Tabernacle Community Church), quickly followed by sushi for lunch at Maru, which just so happened to be next to a fabulous french macaron shop. Then a quick walk through the high points of art through the city to enjoy the last few hours of Art Prize, and home to a homemade dinner and family time. Shopping the next day consisted of mostly home decor stores since my sis just bought a new house, too - and then kisses goodbye and we left. 

Whew! Was I even in Michigan? 

Anyhow - Maru and Le Bon Macaron on Cherry Street need to be on your to do list if you make it out to Art Prize next year!









SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa