10/15/2016

Last Week's Treasures


So we bought this fixer upper that honestly didn't have much character left in it on the inside. It had been updated several times--the most recent update being in maybe the early to mid 90's. Most of the turn of the century charm was gone save for some original trim upstairs. I decided to go to flea markets, garage sales, and antique stores to find some unique pieces to add the architectural or charm detail the house is missing. 

This black chest below really spoke to me at a local garage sale. It's Hollywood Regency glamour looked just right to use as a bathroom vanity in the upstairs bathroom that has a clawfoot tub. I pictured the clawfoot tub being made over with gold feet and a black paint job. This chest as the vanity with a double basin vessel sink on top couldn't be more perfect. And it was only $20! 


I came home with it and then was certain I'd seen it somewhere before. I decided to search black dressers on Pinterest for inspiration and found this:


Apparently, the chest of drawers I found is a replica of a 1950's Dorothy Draper chest worth over $5,000! Replicas are sold in the $1,000's! Researching the history of the style and the theory behind the design was intriguing and has me head over heels for this piece!

Also, our farmhouse sink arrived last week. Thankfully Cecily isn't too big to take a bath in it (I was worried that by the time I actually had my dream sink, my kids would be too large for sink baths).


Apparently, Cecily isn't the only child who hasn't outgrown the sink.



The kitchen hasn't even been fully demo-ed yet, but at least I can daydream about what it will look like in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving feedback from my readers! Check back here for a reply to your comment.

-Vanessa